It’s a great feeling to listen to some of these again, sometimes after a few years since I last heard them. Even the cheesy ones like The Lebanon – it might have the seventh-worst lyrics of all time, but it’s still a superb song.
A lot of these are tracks my parents used to play when I was little, hence the bias towards 60s rock and Motown, but the most striking thing to me is that the music I came to love when I reached my teens has clear roots in those earlier sounds.
50. Try a Little Tenderness, Commitments
49. Face To Face, Siouxsie and the Banshees
48. Sweet Child O’ Mine, Guns N’ Roses
47. Smells Like Teen Spirit, Nirvana
46. Master of Puppets, Metallica
45. Close To You, Carpenters
44. Rock Lobster, The B-52’s
43. Wuthering Heights, Kate Bush
42. Light My Fire, The Doors
41. Reach Out (I’ll Be There), The Four Tops
40. Walk This Way, Aerosmith + Run DMC
39. Temple of Love, Sisters of Mercy + Ofra Haza